ZocdocAnswersIs it ok that I popped a pimple on my vagina?

Question

Is it ok that I popped a pimple on my vagina?

I found a pimple on my vagina and popped it,puss and blood came out.What does that mean? Am I in any danger?

Answer

If you found something that looked like a pimple and popping it resulted in some pus and blood coming out, then this probably means that this was a minor skin infection, such as folliculitis, which occurs when bacteria get into the skin at the base of one of the pubic hair shafts. Generally these will get better on their own, although it is best not to squeeze or pick at them as this increases the risk of a worsening infection or delayed healing. If you have multiple areas like this, or if the area that you squeezed and popped has an area of spreading redness around it, or if there is significant pain or fever, these all may be signs of a more serious or worsening infection, and you would need to seek help from your primary care doctor or in an emergency room as soon as possible. It may be necessary to take antibiotics in these cases in order to get the issue under control. On the other hand, if the issue has largely resolved, then you can go to see your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience. They can take a look to make sure there is no additional treatment that might be needed.