What causes severe pain in the left pelvic area, lower back and leg accompanied by bleeding?

I have cysts on my ovaries and cervical area. For over 3 months I have been experiencing cramping constantly, sharp pain in my left side and boating. Loss of appetite, pressure and fullness. Missed period for 3 months. Tender, sore breasts. A week and a half ago I started my period, light and normal in length. Yesterday I experienced pain that was unbearable enough for me to go the ER and I started bleeding. I was sent home saying everything was normal. But it was unbearably painful and scared me! What could be going on?
I am really sorry to hear about all these symptoms that you have been suffering from. They certainly sound very distressing. The job of the emergency doctor, in the setting of sudden or worsening pelvic pain, is to rule out the very serious cases of pain that might require surgical treatment. These include things like ectopic pregnancy or a twisted ovary ("ovarian torsion"). Since the emergency room sent you home, I suspect that these things were ruled out. However, this does not mean that there is not an identifiable cause of your pain. In fact, there are many different causes of pelvic pain and irregular bleeding that could be the source of your symptoms. These would include things like endometriosis or polycystic ovarian syndrome. I suggest that you start by getting in to see your primary care doctor or your regular OB GYN doctor right away. They will be able to perform a full examination and help you determine what work up and testing needs to be done next to help figure out what is going on. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Nearby OB-GYNs