Why do I have black spots under my tongue?

I have black spots under my tongue. Is that due to smoking. Should I see a doctor? If so, what type of doctor should see?
I definitely recommend that you go see a doctor about this issue as soon as possible! Dark spots under the tongue could be concerning for a form of cancer, and the fact that you smoke may also be relevant, as it can raise your risk for certain types of cancer. The first thing I think of when I hear about dark spots is melanoma, which is a type of skin cancer caused by the pigment cells that give skin its color. Melanoma can occur anywhere on the surface of the body, including in the mouth. Other types of skin cancer can also occur in the mouth, such as squamous cell cancer, and these are more common in people who smoke. I would go see either your primary care doctor or your dentist. Either one should be able to take a look at these spots and help determine whether or not they need to be investigated more closely. If they are concerned about the possibility of cancer, they will need to refer you to an oral surgeon, or an ENT doctor, who will be able to remove the spots with a biopsy to make sure that they are not cancer. Book a doctor appointment today!

Other Dentists