Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How would I know if I had a miscarriage?"

ZocdocAnswersHow would I know if I had a miscarriage?


I am only 16 so I am afraid to go to the doctor. I only had sex once and a few weeks after I started having abdominal pains and heavy bleeding then brown discharge but I'm not sure of that's just my period or if its a misscarriage


You absolutely must go to see your doctor as soon as possible! These symptoms could be serious, and you need to be evaluated and get some help. You should also know that visits to your doctor to talk about things such as pregnancy, contraception, sex, and the like are protected by law. In other words, your visit to see your doctor is completely confidential, and you should not be scared to go get help. You definitely will need to have a pregnancy test to make sure you are not pregnant. However, you will also need to have an examination of your vagina and of the brown discharge that you are having. This is important to make sure you do not have an inflammation of the pelvic organs, which could be a sign of a sexually transmitted infection or of pelvic inflammatory disease. Your pediatrician or adolescent medicine doctor will be able to perform this examination for you in a safe and private way. Based on what they find, they may recommend additional testing, such as a vaginal or urine sample to send for testing for sexually transmitted infections. Contact your doctor's office right away! They can help you figure this out!

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.