Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is pelvic inflammatory disease and how do you know if you have it?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is pelvic inflammatory disease and how do you know if you have it?


im a 17 yr old had a baby at age 14 ive had frequent urinary tract infections almost once a back pain is horrid...i cramp sharp side pains are unbarable and i ran out of ideas whats wrong with me..all doctors ive seen dont know


Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is an inflammation of the female reproductive organs (i.e., uterus, fallopian tubes, and/or ovaries) that occurs when sexually transmitted bacteria move upward from your vagina or cervix into your uterus and upper genital tract. Many different organisms can cause PID,but many cases are associated with the two very common bacterial STDs such as gonorrhea and chlamydia. It progresses to scar formation which can lead to infertility, ectopic pregnancy, and/or chronic pelvic pain. Symptoms of PID range from mild to severe. Many women who develop PID experience only minor signs and symptoms or none at all and thus don't seek treatment. It is important to note that even asymptomatic PID can and does cause serious harm. PID may be detected only later when you have trouble getting pregnant or if you develop chronic pelvic pain. If there are symptoms, they may include pain in your lower abdomen and pelvis, heavy vaginal discharge with a foul odor, irregular menstrual bleeding, painful intercourse, lower back pain, and painful urination. Fever, fatigue, diarrhea or vomiting is also noted. I suggest you to seek diagnosis of your condition from a primary care provider or OBGYN soon. If your diagnosis is actual PID, your doctor can prescribe appropriate curative treatment in the prevention of damage to your reproductive system. Treatment depends on the cause and generally involves use of antibiotic therapy. Please schedule a visit with a doctor promptly.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.