ZocdocAnswersStarted my period 2 weeks early. Is this normal?

Question

Started my period 2 weeks early. Is this normal?

I started new 1000 calorie diet a few weeks ago and my period start 2 weeks early. I have been on it for about a week and they normally last me 4 to 5 days. I'm on birth control and according to my pills I'm supposed to start this Wednesday. Does this mean my period will last / weeks or longer? Is this normal?

Answer

There are two issues here raised by your question. Both should be discussed with your OB GYN. The first is the issue of your diet and whether than might have an effect on your menstrual cycle. To that, I would say that a 1000 calorie diet is a very, very low calorie diet which would not be safe in the majority of women. I wonder why you are on such a low calorie diet, and I strongly recommend that you see your primary care doctor and a nutritionist to help you figure out what a better diet plan would be. Such a low calorie diet could induce malnutrition or have an effect on your thyroid gland, which could lead to menstrual irregularities. Second, it is possible that your bleeding two weeks early is a form of break through bleeding. This is a common problem in people who are on birth control pills for a long time and it occurs because, with birth control pill use, the lining of the uterus becomes progressively thinner and more fragile, leading to unpredictable bleeding in the middle of the cycle. Sometimes this requires changing your birth control method. I would start by seeing your OB GYN doctor or your primary care doctor about these issues as soon as possible.