Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is my puberty delayed?"

ZocdocAnswersIs my puberty delayed?


I am 17 years old and i did not reach puberty yet do i need to test my hormones ? Please help? i am so worried ?


In order to answer this question, it is important to know several important details that are missing. First of all: are you male or female? Timelines and features of puberty are very different in males and females. Based on the answer to this question, it is important to define what you mean by "not reaching puberty." For example, there is a big difference between "not menstruating yet" and "not menstruating, but some breast formation and pubic hair." The former suggests that hormones are in place, whereas the latter would be much more concerning. The first step, regardless of your answers to the above questions, would be to go see your primary care doctor right away. They will take a look closely at your sexual development. For a female, this would include looking for armpit and pubic hair, look at the size and shape of the breasts, and asking about menstruation. For a male, this would include looking at armpit and pubic hair and measuring the size of the testicles and penis. Based on these findings, your primary care doctor will be able to figure out whether you need additional testing or, potentially, referral to an endocrinology specialist at this time.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.