Why are my kidneys hurting?

I'm 15 years old and when i was born I had a bunch of sist on my kidney and the doctors cut them off and stuck the kidney back in. they said it would never work again, so i go back to the doctor 14 years later and they tell me that that kidney has collapsed and it has a growth on it but they said they don't need to check it out if its not causing problems and my other kidney had grown to twice the size of a normal one, and now I'm getting sharp pains in both? I drink no cokes, don't smoke, don't drink or anything like that.. please advise
Do you have a kidney doctor right now? You should definitely be seeing them on a very regular basis, because it sounds like you have been diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease, which is a chronic condition that is inherited and passed down in families. It is important to follow closely with your kidney doctor, because often polycystic kidney disease can lead to kidney failure, which can require treatment. It is great that you are not smoking, drinking, etc - as keeping healthy is important to maintain your kidneys as strong as possible. Unfortunately, people who have polycystic kidney disease often do have chronic pain related to the growth of the kidneys and the cysts. This is something that your doctor needs to be addressing, so I would make sure the next time you see them that you let them know that the pain is getting to be unmanageable and that you need some help figuring out what to do with the pain. At that time, you can also ask your doctor what your kidney function is like and if there is anything else you need to be doing right now to take care of yourself. Good luck, and I hope you are feeling better soon!

Other Nephrologists