ZocdocAnswersWhat is this in between my toes?

Question

What is this in between my toes?

In between one of my toes it started itching, so I scratched it. When I woke up the next day, I felt my toes a bit different. I checked and there was a huge bump with clear fluid inside of it. So I popped it with a needle and the fluid came out. Hours later it was back to the same size with more fluid inside. I don’t know what this is and it’s worrying me. If anyone can tell me what this is, I’d appreciate it very much.

Answer

Since this area with fluid inside it is so large and persistent, I would definitely have your primary care doctor take a look at it at your earliest convenience. I can think of several possible causes, and they will be able to help you figure out what is going on. First of all, this could just be a blister, which can occur whenever there is friction causes rubbing over an area of skin between the toes. However, blisters are usually painful, not typically itching, which suggest to me that something else might be more likely. Contact dermatitis, or some other allergic type reaction of the skin could lead to large, itchy blistering areas. This might be from something that you accidentally stepped in, as well as a reaction to a laundry detergent or similar substance. A fungal infection of the skin between the toes could also cause weeping sores and itching, typically with a significant odor. It is important to figure out what is going on, because the treatments are different. For example, contact dermatitis would require a topical steroid cream, whereas a fungal infection would require an anti fungal cream. Make an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can!