Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Should I do something more about my high blood pressure?"

ZocdocAnswersShould I do something more about my high blood pressure?


I had a physical last year and everything was normal. I am 35, male, average build and no family history of high blood pressure. A couple months later, i started to experience "vertigo" and it was there for about 4-6 weeks. I had pressure in my nose, tightness in my throat, had some panics attacks even when i was sitting in a relaxed state (so i thought) and didn't know what was going on. I then found out later (from a self test) that my blood pressure was ridiculously high! It was 190/114. I had just got laid off, lost a home in escrow, was going through a separation all in a short time frame of 6 months. I then started to take the necessary steps to lower my BP. I recently checked my BP again and its 170/105 which is better but still high. I have not seen a Dr yet. Can blood pressure be permanently high due to personal life situations??


These blood pressure measurements that you are getting are extremely high and require urgent evaluation. These are not just borderline elevations in blood pressure, and having your blood pressure this high could be causing serious damage to your heart and other vital organs. Stress and problems in personal life do not produce blood pressure elevations this high. I suggest that you get in to see your primary care doctor immediately. The first thing they will want to do is verify with their office machinery that your blood pressure is really this high. They will also want to do some blood work to make sure that the blood pressure elevation hasn't caused any damage to your kidneys or other organs. Then, they will want to start you on some medications to control your blood pressure. These levels of blood pressure elevation cannot typically be controlled with diet and lifestyle changes alone. In the meantime, if you have any serious symptoms such as severe headache, blurry vision, or chest pain or shortness of breath, these could be signs of a serious problem related to your blood pressure elevation, and you would need to go immediately to an emergency room for prompt evaluation.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.