Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How is fluid on the pelvis treated?"

ZocdocAnswersHow is fluid on the pelvis treated?


I've had unexplained weight lost and abdominal pain for over a year finally got some test done turned out I have fluid in my pelvis area. How is this treated?


Fluid in the pelvis is generally discovered with a pelvic ultrasound, which is what I assume you just had done. Pelvic fluid is a very nonspecific finding; it means that somewhere in the pelvis or pelvic organs there is inflammation, but it doesn't narrow things down much more than that. Therefore, you will need to work with your OB GYN doctor now to decide if additional testing is needed to figure out exactly what is going on. One of the most common causes of fluid in the pelvis is pelvic inflammatory disease, which is a sexually transmitted disease which leads to infection and inflammation of the uterus and ovaries. It is generally treated with antibiotics. Another common cause of fluid in the pelvis is endometriosis, which occurs when some of the tissue lining the uterus escapes into the abdominal cavity and implants there, leading to cyclical pain and cramping, together with the presence of some blood or fluid. Rarely, fluid in the pelvis can be a sign of problem like ovarian cancer, especially if the ultrasound you had done is suspicious for that in any other ways. Start by sitting down with your OB GYN doctor to discuss these results in more detail.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.