ZocdocAnswersI have weird red bumps on my wrist?

Question

I have weird red bumps on my wrist?

They itch now and then and they are just on my wrist and no where else. I have no idea what they are, they don't look like poison ivy or hives.

Answer

If this has been going on for a while and not getting better, then it is time to see your doctor. Either your dermatologist or your primary care doctor should be able to look at these bumps for you and tell you what is going on. One possibility is that this is eczema. Eczema is a condition in which the skin becomes dry, red, and itchy in patches. It often occurs on the hands and wrist, commonly due to frequent hand washing and exposure to chemicals such as those found in soap. If this does turn out to be eczema, it is generally easy to treat with topical steroid creams, as directed by your doctor. Another possibility is contact dermatitis, which occurs when the skin develops an allergic reaction to something it has come into contact with. Contact dermatitis looks a bit different from eczema, but it is treated in much the same way, by avoid irritants and using steroid creams to relieve itching and speed healing. Poison ivy and hives are also on the list, as you mention, although these do tend to be a bit more widely distributed and not just limited to the wrist. Regardless, your doctor should be able to figure this out easily!