ZocdocAnswersI have red bumps all over my leg and they are getting worse.

Question

I have red bumps all over my leg and they are getting worse.

they are like zits all over my one leg and they have been getting worse and i get more each day. they dont itch at all and i dont think they are ingrown hairs. what could it be?

Answer

There are a couple of different possible causes here, but the fact that they are persistent and getting worse suggests that you should probably go see your primary care doctor or your dermatologist for help getting to the bottom of things. Ingrown hairs are definitely a possibility, although it seems like you have experience with those and these seem different to you. Another cause which sometimes can look similar to an ingrown hair is folliculitis. This is a condition in which bacterial infection sets in at the base of the hair follicles, leading to redness and discomfort. Some mild cases of folliculitis can be treated with just good skin hygiene or topical antibacterial ointments, but many more advanced cases do require oral antibiotics as prescribed by your doctor. Another potential cause, especially if the red bumps are mostly on the upper half of your legs, your thighs and your buttocks, is keratosis pilaris, which is an inherited benign condition of the skin in which small plugs of keratin are produced and clog off pores in the skin. Keratosis pilaris can be easily diagnosed by your doctor and it doesn't require any specific treatment (because it is benign), but the appearance of it can be improved by exfoliation and other treatments that you might use for common acne. Please talk to your doctor.