ZocdocAnswersWhat's causing these bladder problems?

Question

What's causing these bladder problems?

I had a total hyst. last year, and i urinate every 15mins and its alot it happens all day and night I can not hold it cause it hurts and if i try it comes out wat could this be and wats usually the cure

Answer

I strongly recommend that you go to see your OB GYN doctor about this issue, preferably the same OB GYN doctor who did your total hysterectomy in the first place. There are several potential causes of your symptoms of pain with urination and having to go to urinate very frequent. However, first of all, it is important to determine whether or not this is a complication related to your hysterectomy. Unfortunately, it turns out that, after a hysterectomy, there can sometimes be a relaxation of the pelvic floor muscles and ligaments. This can occasionally allow the bladder to bulge downward into the vagina. This is called a cystocele, and it can produce the kinds of symptoms that you are having. Often a mild cystocele can be treated with exercises to strengthen the pelvic muscles, called Kegel exercises. However, sometimes another surgery is required. In addition to a cystocele, there are other problems that also need to be ruled out, including an infection in the urinary tract or a chronic inflammation of the bladder (interstitial cystitis). Your OB GYN doctor will be able to perform an examination and help you figure out what is likely going on - and what needs to be done about it!