ZocdocAnswersWhy is my neck darker then the rest of my body?

Question

Why is my neck darker then the rest of my body?

My face is lighter then my neck, what could this be?

Answer

I would definitely show this to your primary care doctor. The most likely possibility is that you have acanthosis nigricans. Acanthosis nigricans is a darkening of the skin on the back of the neck (sometimes also in the armpits and groin) that is associated with the development of insulin resistance. In other words, acanthosis nigricans is a signal that your body may be developing high blood sugar levels and you might be on the path to diabetes. It is most common in those who also have other risk factors for the same, such as obesity or high blood pressure. When your doctor sees you, in addition to the physical examination, they will also want to check your blood pressure and take some blood samples to look at your blood sugar levels and cholesterol. These results will help to determine whether any specific treatment is needed at this time. Regardless of whether or not these results are normal, they are a sign that it is important to exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight. Your doctor will be able to talk with you about how to achieve these goals.