ZocdocAnswersI'm 29, went to obgyn and she found that my thyroid glands were visibly enlarged.

Question

I'm 29, went to obgyn and she found that my thyroid glands were visibly enlarged.

I was sent for blood work and an ultrasound. my blood work came back normal TSH.......1.510 The ultrasound found that my right thyroid lobe measures 4.6 x 2.2 x 1.4 cm and left thyroid lobe measures 4.5 x 1.9 x 1.1 cm. I had a 4 x 4 hypoechoic lesion in the right lobe and a 9 x 9 in the left lobe. findings likely to reflect colloid cysts. Neoplastic nodule cant be ruled out but is felt to be less likely. My mother was diagnosed with thyroid cancer while she was pregnant with me, she was 27 years old... All I was told was that Im being refered to Endocrine to be evaluated. What does this really mean for me??? And what do they mean when they say evaluated??

Answer

My answer to your question is going to contain the caveat that your description of your ultrasound is missing the units. For example, you say that the left nodule is 9 x 9. I am assuming that means millimeters. Generally speaking, thyroid nodules that are larger than 1 centimeter (10 millimeters) are the nodules that most need to be investigated. Therefore, your nodules are small, although the one in the left side is getting to the size that in might require additional investigation. You mention that your thyroid gland is diffusely enlarged, so probably the first thing that the endocrinology doctor will want to do, if your OB GYN didn't already do it, is perform a complete set of thyroid tests on your blood. These will help determine whether or not the enlargement might be from thyroiditis, or inflammation of the thyroid, which can have several different causes. Then, your endocrinologist will want to talk with you about whether or not the thyroid nodules need to be biopsied to rule out cancer. The fact that they are on the small side argues against this, but the family history of thyroid cancer does raise your risk and might influence your endocrinologist to recommend a needle biopsy of the nodules. Please talk to your doctor right away.