ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing this itching?

Question

What is causing this itching?

Had sex with bf and now my vagina is itching like crazy. It itches and it hurts like something tore

Answer

Sorry to hear that you are so uncomfortable! I would strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor about this issue as soon as possible. You need to have an examination to rule out any potential infections or other treatable causes. Make sure to mention, when you go to your doctor, if you have other symptoms, such as an vaginal discharge, odor, or pain with urination. One important first step is ruling out a sexually transmitted infection, such as gonorrhea or chlamydia. Your doctor will perform a vaginal exam looking for any evidence of infection, and they will also likely send of specific laboratory tests for these infections. They will also consider bacterial vaginosis and a yeast infection, which are two conditions which, although not sexually transmitted infections, can also be associated with having sex. They will also probably take a look at your urine, because a urinary tract infection can sometimes produce vaginal symptoms. Fortunately, all of these possible causes are treatable with simple antibiotics and other prescription medications. Based on what your tests show, your doctor will write you a prescription for the appropriate medication, and you should be feeling better soon!