Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is causing this itching?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing this itching?


Had sex with bf and now my vagina is itching like crazy. It itches and it hurts like something tore


Sorry to hear that you are so uncomfortable! I would strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor about this issue as soon as possible. You need to have an examination to rule out any potential infections or other treatable causes. Make sure to mention, when you go to your doctor, if you have other symptoms, such as an vaginal discharge, odor, or pain with urination. One important first step is ruling out a sexually transmitted infection, such as gonorrhea or chlamydia. Your doctor will perform a vaginal exam looking for any evidence of infection, and they will also likely send of specific laboratory tests for these infections. They will also consider bacterial vaginosis and a yeast infection, which are two conditions which, although not sexually transmitted infections, can also be associated with having sex. They will also probably take a look at your urine, because a urinary tract infection can sometimes produce vaginal symptoms. Fortunately, all of these possible causes are treatable with simple antibiotics and other prescription medications. Based on what your tests show, your doctor will write you a prescription for the appropriate medication, and you should be feeling better soon!

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.