ZocdocAnswersI am experiencing extreme pains behind my belly button. Why?

Question

I am experiencing extreme pains behind my belly button. Why?

I am a 16 year old girl and i am experiencing extreme pains behind my belly button. it hurts when i stretch, urinate, and put pressure on it. what is the problem?

Answer

You definitely need to go see your pediatrician or your adolescent medicine doctor as soon as possible. There are a couple of possible causes of this pain, but they all require evaluation and treatment by your doctor. First of all, your doctor will want to make sure that you do not have a urinary tract infection, as this is a very common problem in someone your age, and can cause the kind of pressure and pain with urination that you are experiencing. It should be easy to tell whether or not you have a urinary tract infection with some simple tests that can be run on a urine sample and, if you do, it should respond nicely to oral antibiotics. If the urine tests are negative for a urine infection, then it will be important to rule out other causes of the pain. These could include pregnancy if you are sexually active, as well as inflammation of the appendix, which can begin as severe pain around the belly button. If you have high fevers, nausea, and vomiting, or severe belly pain, you shouldn't wait to see your doctor in their office but rather should go immediately to an emergency room for more rapid evaluation.