ZocdocAnswersIf no cartilage in knees, will I still be able to walk?

Question

If no cartilage in knees, will I still be able to walk?

it hurts to get up and down off of furniture, in and out of cars, walking up or down stairs, it just basically hurts to do anything that involves bending of the knee, in so much pain can't stand it. You can hear alot of grinding when knees are being bent

Answer

These symptoms sound really bad! I recommend that you go see your doctor right away about this issue if you have not done so already. There are lots of different causes of knee pain, and your doctor will be able to help you decide what you need to do to start feeling better. A lot depends on your age and medical history. For example, if you are a young person who is physically active, then an overuse injury of the knee, such as "runner's knee" is the most likely cause of your pain. These overuse injuries tend to respond well to rest, anti inflammatory medications, and physical therapy. On the other hand, if you have a more serious history of a knee injury, then you may have a ligament or meniscus injury which might require additional imaging (such as an MRI) and referral to an orthopedic doctor for consideration of surgery. If, finally, you are an older adult, then the likelihood that this is osteoarthritis, or "wear and tear" arthritis, of the knees is much higher. This condition is a chronic problem which can be relieved with anti inflammatory medications but which often does require surgery to replace the knee joints.