My voice is hardly getting clear!

I am a 19 year old girl. At 15, I got into a small car accident. Car hit mine from behind, I screamed, caught a very bad cold on my way to hospital. Lost voice for two weeks. When I got it back, my high pitched voice was completely gone. That didn't matter but as time went on.. Recently, being able to talk has become much harder and a lot more frustrating. Its been more than a year and my voice is becoming hoarse. Very hard to talk a lot. Voice becomes very raspy, froggy, and it cracks. I am soft spoken but I sound horrible now, like my voice is vibrating. When I need to talk about something serious/important, I have to put a lot of effort into speaking. I get tired easily and right away, my voice would start to change into a very raspy tone. I try to not talk because I am embarrassed. I constantly need to clear my throat but it does not help! Please help!
You definitely need to see your doctor about this as soon as possible, if you have not done so already. Start with seeing your primary care doctor. They can perform the initial evaluation and help determine whether or not you need to see a specialist. First, your doctor will want to rule out the common causes of raspy voice. These include smoking, seasonal allergies, or chronic sinus problems. If one of these things turns up on the history and examination, your doctor will probably want to treat that for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. If not, however, you will need a referral to see a ear, nose, and throat specialist. They can use a special camera to take a look down your throat at your vocal cords to see what might be going on. For example, one common problem is polyps on the vocal cords, which can cause many of the symptoms you are describing. Rarely, a chronic raspy voice can be a sign of a cancer in the throat, although this is quite uncommon in someone your age; nevertheless, the ear, nose and throat doctor will be able to rule this out as well when they take a look down your throat.

Nearby Ear, Nose & Throat Doctors

• Dr. Marc Kayem
    Dr. Marc Kayem MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    465 North Roxbury Drive
    Beverly Hills, CA 90210
  • Dr. Matthew Dahl
    Dr. Matthew Dahl MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    22 S 900 E
    Salt Lake City, UT 84102
  • Dr. John Bennett
    Dr. John Bennett MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    22 S 900 E
    Salt Lake City, UT 84102