Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How do you determine if you have athlete's Foot?"

ZocdocAnswersHow do you determine if you have athlete's Foot?


My mom says I have Athlete's foot. But I've been doing some research and it doesn't really match any of the symtoms that I have. My feet are peeling around the bottom of my toes, their not itchy, they don't smell, their not red. It's just skin. It doesn't even bother me, if I hadn't looked at my feet I wouldn't of even noticed it. I've been using this anti fungal spray to please my mom. But it hasn't done anything. The peeling tends to get worst whenever I get out of the shower. Please help!


If this was a mild case of athlete's foot, which is a fungal infection of the skin on the feet, then you would probably have noticed some improvement with the anti fungal spray. However, one caveat is that sometimes the fungus can be resistant to these over the counter anti fungal medications, so failure to improve with over the counter anti fungal medications doesn't necessarily completely rule out a fungal infection. However, I do think it is time to get your doctor's opinion, since you have already tried treating this on your own without much luck. Your doctor can consider other possible diagnoses, other than just athlete's foot. These could include dyshidrotic eczema, which is a form of eczema which causes peeling of the soles of the feet and can be quite stubborn and difficult to get rid of if you do not use a prescription strength steroid cream. Your doctor will take a look and determine whether they think this is more likely to be eczema or athlete's foot. If the latter, they can probably prescribe you a stronger anti fungal medicine, since the first one you tried has not worked. If the former, they will definitely prescribe the necessary steroid creams for you. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.