ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have a hard nodule at my right groin?

Question

Why do I have a hard nodule at my right groin?

I have a hard nodule about the size and shape of a bean at my right groin, where my leg meets my scrotum. It hasn't changed for about two weeks. Could it be an inguinal lymph node that suddenly swelled? What should I do about it?

Answer

This is a question you should discuss with your doctor. This swollen area in your groin could be a lymph node. The inguinal and femoral lymph nodes are found mostly in the crease where your leg meets your stomach, but they also do extend a bit down the inner side of the thigh, and this could be what you are feeling. Lymph nodes tend to swell up in response to an infection, which could be a skin infection or any other infection affecting the genitals or leg. Rarely, a swollen lymph node can be a sign of a serious problem, such as a lymphoma or other type of cancer. This is the main reason why any persistent swelling should be checked out by your primary care doctor. They can figure out definitively whether or not this is a lymph node and, if so, whether it is concerning for a serious medical problem and needs to be investigated more closely. They can also consider alternatively causes of swelling other than a lymph node, such as a cyst under the surface of the skin. Start by going to see your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience, and they will help you figure out what to do next. Good luck!