ZocdocAnswersDoes PCOS affect getting pregnant?

Question

Does PCOS affect getting pregnant?

I am a female, 26 years age. i have had regular periods never missed I had a missed period for one month ..so i went to doctor to check if i was pregnant ..doc did ultrasound , blood and urine tests . the results showed that i have polysistic overies (pcos) . the doc gave some pill to take for few days to get my periods but before i even took the pills got my period . i was having regular periods from then .. so dint use any pills .does it mean the cysts in my overies are gone . aslo iam planing for pregnancy does pcos effect in getting pregnant .. since i have this pcos problem is it better to plan for pregnancy as soon as possible ..

Answer

Your question raises a lot of questions of its own! First, I think it is important to clarify whether or not you had any abnormalities on your blood work or whether the only abnormality that was seen was cysts in your ovaries on the ultrasound. Also, it is important to clarify whether this is the very first time you have missed a period or whether you have a history of irregular periods previously. The reason I mention these two points is that cysts in the ovaries on ultrasound can be normal, especially in the absence of a history of menstrual irregularity. It is the combination of menstrual irregularity and cysts in the ovaries together that gives the diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Those who have true polycystic ovarian syndrome do often have trouble getting pregnant, but this would not be necessarily the case if you have just missed this one period. The best thing to do would be to discuss this issue with your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor in more detail. They can look over all of the results from the testing you just had done and help you decide whether this diagnosis fits the picture.