Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is this lump on my shin?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is this lump on my shin?


I have a painful hard lump on my left leg shin 5 inches under my knee and sharp pains on my lower leg near my ankle


I would definitely have this checked out by your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience. There are several possible causes for this lump, and they will be able to take a close look and help you determine whether you need any additional treatment. Make sure to mention to your doctor if you remember any trauma to the area, such as bumping your leg against a hard surface, because by far the most common cause of these types of bumps would be a bruise or a contusion under the surface of the skin. Another potential cause, depending on where exactly this is in relationship to your knee joint, is bursitis, which is an inflammation of the bursa, which are the protective sacs of fluid which surround and cushion the knee. Depending on what your doctor sees, they may want to prescribe a medication to help reduce pain or inflammation. They also may recommend restricting your activity or at least avoiding undue strain on the leg or knee until this heals up. They will also be able to follow up with you to make sure that things are getting better and that you do not have any lingering symptoms.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.