ZocdocAnswersCan sciatica cause swollen lymph nodes on the leg?

Question

Can sciatica cause swollen lymph nodes on the leg?

I think I have two swollen lymph nodes inside my thigh for years. they are near where my underwear ends. i compare them with my other leg so they are a little bigger. They don't really heart me. I also have sciatica. Can sciatica swollen the nodes? Can it be cancer?

Answer

Your primary care physician is the right person to discuss this issue with. There are many things that can cause swollen lymph nodes, but sciatica is not typically one of them. Overall, lymph nodes are places in the body where lymphocytes (or white blood cells) travel during their travel through the body as part of a functioning immune system. When lymph nodes are activated by something, they will traffic to the lymph nodes. This is why when you have a head cold or infection in the throat the lymph nodes in the neck can become very prominent. However, it is important to remember that the lymph nodes in the inguinal area (near the groin) are quite often palpable simple because the urogenital area is a source of bacteria to which the immune system can respond. It is not unusual to have small lymph nodes detectable in this area much of the time. As you indicate, however, swollen lymph nodes can also be associated with some cancers, particularly lymphoma (cancer of the white blood cells) or other cancers that spread through the lymph channels. The fact that your lymph nodes have not changed in several years suggests they are very unlikely to be malignancy. However, the best thing for you to do is to see your primary care physician for a regular exam. He or she can talk with you more about when you first noticed these lymph nodes, as well as any other symptoms you may be having. Your age, health history, family health history, and physical exam will also be important here. Visiting your physician should help put your mind at ease and help protect your health.