ZocdocAnswersCan you have a sonogram done if you are showing many signs of pregnancy but get negative tests?

Question

Can you have a sonogram done if you are showing many signs of pregnancy but get negative tests?

I am showing so many signs of pregnancy, low ph levels run in my family. both my mother and gramdmother had perroids and negitive tests 4 to 6 weeks before there due date.

Answer

There are several options for diagnosing pregnancy if you believe that you might be pregnant. It sounds like the negative tests you are talking about are the home pregnancy tests based on a urine sample. These tests work by detecting the hormone hGH (or human growth hormone) that is secreted by the placenta in pregnancy. These tests are generally accurate past the first few weeks of pregnancy, but the presence of hGH is also typically confirmed with a blood test by a physician during a pregnancy office visit. Not only is the blood test far more accurate than the urine test, but it is also quantitative which means that the level in the blood can be used to date the pregnancy. If you are concerned that you might be pregnant, the best thing to do is see your primary care physician or OB/GYN to discuss your concerns and have the blood test drawn. If your blood hGH is negative, then you cannot be pregnant. Your family members may have had unexpectedly low levels with their prior pregnancies, but from a physiological standpoint, you simply cannot be pregnant without release of this growth factor into the blood - and if it is in the blood, it will be measured by the laboratory blood test. A pelvic ultrasound can also be used to confirm early pregnancy, but this is not necessary to diagnose pregnancy unless there is vaginal bleeding or other cause for concern. Again, I recommend that you discuss this with your doctor.