ZocdocAnswersAm I still contagious with mono?

Question

Am I still contagious with mono?

Ok so i got diagnosed with mono last month around the 6th and the symtoms ended a few weeks later, im going to go see my girlfriend tomorrow and i wanna know if i can kiss her.

Answer

This is a good question to discuss with your primary care doctor. It sounds like you may have heard that mononucleosis is otherwise known as the kissing disease, because of how easily it can be spread from saliva. You are fortunate that your symptoms are no longer bothering you, but the bad news is that once infected with the Epstein-Barr virus responsible for causing infectious mononucleosis, you will continue to shed the virus--and be contagious--for what is thought to be a period of at least 6 months. There are some studies that suggest viral shedding in people with prior diagnoses of mono may even persist as long as 18 months, although it is not clear for exactly how long during that period a person is actively contagious. However, in your situation there is a very high likelihood that you are still very much contagious, and so the recommendations would be that you avoid kissing, sharing utensils, or eating/drinking from the same plate or cup for the next several months. This is undoubtedly not the news you wanted to hear, but in any case you should make an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss further. He or she should be able to help provide additional guidance and help you protect your own health and that of your girlfriend.