ZocdocAnswersWhy does my girlfriend's vagina sting my penis?

Question

Why does my girlfriend's vagina sting my penis?

My girlfriend is pregnant and her vaginal discharge that has increased during the pregnancy stings or burns like lime juice in a wound when we have intercourse. What should I do?

Answer

I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor about this issue. There are a few different potential causes of your symptoms, and they can help you figure out which one is most likely. For example, it is possible that you have some local irritation of the skin of the penis, such as from eczema or just dry skin. this might be more common if you have frequent intercourse or masturbate frequently. If the skin of your penis is a bit inflamed or irritated, then your girlfriend's vaginal secretions, which are going to be slightly acidic, could cause a burning sensation. It is also important to rule out any sort of sexually transmitted infection, especially since these can be quite dangerous to the baby. If you have any burning at other times, such as with urination, any sores on your penis, or any discharge from the tip of your penis, then these could be symptoms of a sexually transmitted infection, and you should definitely avoid any further sexual intercourse until you can be tested by your primary care doctor and treated. Regardless of what is going on, the first step is to see your doctor as soon as possible!