ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to drink water while my nose is bleeding?

Question

Is it safe to drink water while my nose is bleeding?

I awoke from a dead sleep and my nose was bleeding, I was wondering if it is safe to drink water while waiting for my nose to stop bleeding .

Answer

There shouldn't be any problems with you drinking water while having a nosebleed. Any time you have a nosebleed some of the blood may drain down the back of your throat into your stomach, and this can give you a bad taste in the back of your throat or make you nauseous. Drinking water is not generally a problem in this setting. However, the bigger issue here seems to be why you are getting such significant nosebleeds. It is a good idea for you to discuss this with your physician. He or she may want to see you in the office for a brief history and physical exam. He or she may also want to check some basic labs, depending upon the results of your exam. An incidental nosebleed here or there or in the setting of trauma is not a big deal, but in general, most people do not have large spontaneous nosebleeds without something else going on. In order to make sure that you don't have some other underlying process, your physician will likely want to get more details about your recent health history, any other new symptoms you may have noticed, as well as a complete list of the medications you are taking. Again, please talk with your doctor.