ZocdocAnswersIs it okay to use two types of Tretinoin cream a day?

Question

Is it okay to use two types of Tretinoin cream a day?

Hi! I use Retin-A Micro (Tretinoin) 0.1% on my face for acne and I went back to my dermatologist on Friday and she said since my acne isn't clearing, she was going to prescribe something to use in conjunction with the Retin-A. But my new prescription is almost exactly the same thing: Tretinoin gel, except it's in different packaging and the dosage is 0.01%. The actual product itself looks different, the Retin-A micro is a yellow creme and the new stuff is a clear-ish gel. I wanted to know if it's safe to use the Tretinoin twice a day or if this prescription is a mix-up.

Answer

Since there are questions about whether or not you got the right prescription from your dermatologist, I think the most prudent thing to do would be to call her office right away. On the phone, you can explain your concerns that you might have been accidentally given the same prescription twice. If this is the case, I am sure that she will be able to fix the issue and get you a new prescription right away. You can also get any other questions you might have about how to use these medications answered at that time. It would be unusual to use two types of the same product at the same time on the face for acne. Usually, the typical approach to facial acne is to use several topical medications with different mechanisms of action at the same time, with the idea that this helps to attack the acne from multiple different angles and improves the chances of success. Therefore, your question needs clearing up. I would avoid starting to use the new prescription until you can get in contact with your dermatologist and get your question answered to your satisfaction. Good luck! I hope you have success getting your acne to clear up!