ZocdocAnswersPain near rectum area?

Question

Pain near rectum area?

I've been having this problem for quite a while now. It has come and went, sometimes for a longer period of time and sometimes more/less painful. I think I've been having this for about a year now. I've been having this not too painfully stinging pain in my rectum area, a bit to the left. It hurts more when bending over, and I feel the pain with every heartbeat. Usually it occurs for some minutes and then wears off, and comes back after some minutes/hours, for about a week or so. I don't want to get an anal exam so I would really like to know what this could be.

Answer

Unfortunately, I don't think that you are going to be able to get away without having your doctor look at this. I would recommend that you go to see a doctor you trust, such as your primary care doctor. They will be able to perform a careful and gentle examination of the affected area to see what might be going on. There are a few different possibilities. One is that you are dealing with hemorrhoids, which are swollen veins around the rectum that often have a stinging quality to them. They are commonly caused by chronic constipation. Another possibility would be a rectal fissure, or crack around the side of the anus. These can also be caused by constipation, but they can also be caused by inflammatory bowel disease (such as Crohn's disease) or another chronic medical condition. Infected cysts in the area around the rectum, called pilonidal cysts, are also quite common, and these often require opening and draining in order to heal up. Regardless, the first step is to see your doctor. They can help you figure out what needs to be done next so that you can get rid of this pain and get back to feeling better.