Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why is my uterus hurting?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy is my uterus hurting?


Sometimes I get a really bad cramping right under my belly button,it hurts so bad I have to stop what I'm doing and hold my stomach for a minute or so then it just stops completely. Also when I get my period sometimes its impossible to insert a tampon because it hurts when I get to a certain point, and I end up having to take it out. I've been researching tipped uterus but I've never had sex and pain in the uterus during intercourse is the main symptom! I am also a heavy bleeder and have unbearable menstrual cramps. What is wrong with me!? Things tried: birth control pills and depo provera shot to ease cramps and mestrual flow.


You really need to consult with a doctor -- either your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor -- to help you get to the bottom of this issue. There are many different causes of pain in the lower abdomen, and a thorough physical examination as well as potentially some additional workup may be needed. One thing your doctor will want to do is make sure they are not missing any causes of lower abdominal pain NOT related to the reproductive organs. Although it does seem that your heavy bleeding and pain with tampon insertion point more to a cause in the uterus or ovaries, this is not totally certain at this point. For example, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, and other intestinal causes can also cause this kind of cramping pain. Within the reproductive tract, common causes might include endometriosis, fibroids in the uterus, as well as infections of the reproductive organs. In addition to performing a physical examination, other tests that your doctor might order could include basic urine and blood tests as well as, potentially, an ultrasound of the reproductive organs. Based on the findings from these studies, they will be able to give you advice about what to do next in terms of treatment. Again, please discuss soon with your doctor.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.