ZocdocAnswersI have a droopy eyelid and slight pain. What is this?

Question

I have a droopy eyelid and slight pain. What is this?

CT and MrI showed nothing. I do have chronic sinuses.

Answer

It sounds like you have had a good initial workup of your droopy eyelid, which is known in medical terminology as ptosis. Have a CT scan and an MRI scan of the head rule out some of the more serious causes of ptosis, such as a tumor in the brain pressing on the nerve that controls the eyelid. That is all very good news. However, given that you still do not have a diagnosis for why you have ptosis, it is important to have good followup with a doctor to determine what additional workup you might need. I would recommend going back to see the doctor who order the initial scans, as they will know your case best. It might also be necessary to involve a neurologist at this point, if you have not done so yet. There are many causes of ptosis. Some of them are fairly benign, and include things like a viral infection causing inflammation of the nerve. There are also various causes, such as myasthenia gravis or thyroid disease, that could be diagnosed with additional blood tests or physical examination. Occasionally, ptosis can be a sign of Horner's syndrome which can be caused by tumors or other conditions in the neck or chest pressing on nerve roots. Make an appointment with your doctor today!