ZocdocAnswersMy pee smells weird - why?

Question

My pee smells weird - why?

When I'm in school and i go to the bathroom that a girl just came out of, i cant smell anything (not that im trying to) and then while i'm peeing and after i pee i can smell it. I dont know if this anymore good information but if i don't say so myself i"m in pretty bad shape. I only drink about 3 bottles of water ( i know i could stand to drink more) and my diet is pretty good.

Answer

I recommend that you make an appointment with your doctor. Malodorous urine can signal many different things. Some changes in urinary smell can actually be caused by diet, as some of the compounds found in fruits and vegetables can change the color or smell of urine (among this group are beets and asparagus). In younger patients, a sickly sweet urine smell is associated with the excess sugar found in the urine of type 1 diabetics who have not yet been diagnosed. Some patients with urinary tract infections may also have malodorous urine, although this is typically also associated with increased urinary frequency or burning with urination. Overall, the best thing to do in this situation is to make an appointment with your primary care physician right away. He or she can go over your entire health history as well as the details of this new change in your health. A urine sample can provide valuable information as part of an office examination and can help rule out diabetes as well as a urinary tract infection. Your physician will also want to perform a physical exam which, depending upon your symptoms and overall medical history, may also include a pelvic exam. Finally, although the results can take a few days to come back, a urine culture may also be valuable in this situation. Hopefully your physician will be able to help determine what is causing these symptoms!