ZocdocAnswersIs it ok for me to put gel nails on a nail with a crack in it?

Question

Is it ok for me to put gel nails on a nail with a crack in it?

The nail is not sore or infected it seems and I haven't worn nails for 3 months now and i need to know if it safe to do so

Answer

It would be best to have your primary care doctor, or your dermatologist, take a look at the nail to see what is causing the cracking prior to deciding to put on gel nails. There are a couple of different reasons for this. First, if the cracking is caused by any sort of nail fungus, then placing a gel nail on top of the area might lead to worsening of the infection, since it will create a humid environment for the fungus to proliferate. Furthermore, if the nail is infected with a fungus, then it might be worth while considering a medication to help clear up the infection, and this is something that your doctor can discuss with you as well. Second, in addition to fungal infections, there are other causes for brittle or cracking nails, such as thyroid problems and various nutritional deficiencies. It is important to make sure that you don't have a serious or treatable condition as the cause of your nail problems. Finally, in the event that this is just brittle nails, it still might not be advisable to apply gel nails, since the adhesives and chemicals can lead to more breaking or cracking. Your doctor will be able to provide you with good advice!