ZocdocAnswersFor about two weeks I have been having tingling and numbness in my left breast?

Question

For about two weeks I have been having tingling and numbness in my left breast?

i am not pregnat not taking any medication. So I am not sure what to do or what is causing this

Answer

There are several different potential causes of this sensation, and would recommend that you see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor for an examination. For example, sometimes a numb sensation in the breast can be caused by compression of small nerve fibers in the tissue of the breast or the chest wall, say from wearing a bra that doesn't fit very well in some spots. The tingling that you describe would be very classic for nerve pain from a causes like this. Alternatively, a cyst or lump in the breast could create enough pressure or distortion of the breast tissue that it could lead to a variety of unusual sensations, from pain or tenderness (which would be the most common) to tingling. Another possibility would be shingles, which is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus that often starts as a painful tingling feeling in one particular spot on one side of the body. Your doctor will be able to perform a complete examination, looking for a lump in the breast, a rash on the skin, or any other clues that might point towards one or another diagnosis. Based on what they find, they can recommend the appropriate treatment or additional workup.