ZocdocAnswersI have stomach aches at least 5 times a day, why?

Question

I have stomach aches at least 5 times a day, why?

Sometimes more. I dont have any problems when going to the bathroom, it just comes randomly it makes bubbling sounds and i can also feel them, it happens usally when i wake up , or when im going to bed. And at random points in the day. It usally lasts for 5 minutes, some more painfull some not painfull at all. It helps when i burp to make the bubbles go away.

Answer

I would suggest talking with your primary care doctor or your gastroenterologist about this problem. Any chronic stomach complaint should be investigated by a doctor to make sure it is not caused by a serious medical problem requiring treatment. One cause of intermittent abdominal pain would be gastritis, which is an inflammation of the stomach lining, or a stomach ulcer. These are often associated with smoking, alcohol use, or some over the counter pain medications. However, they can also be caused by infection of the stomach with a bacteria known as Helicobacter pylori. Another cause would be a food intolerance, such as celiac disease or lactose intolerance. Both of these conditions can cause crampy abdominal pain, bloating, and other symptoms such as fatigue or weight loss. Similarly, irritable bowel syndrome is a very common cause of intermittent abdominal pain. With irritable bowel syndrome, the pain is often made worse in times of stress or fatigue, and it may be associated with either intermittent diarrhea or constipation. Your doctor will be able to perform a complete physical examination and help figure out what might be going on. They may want to perform some additional laboratory studies, such as basic blood work or studies on your feces. Good luck.