ZocdocAnswersWhy is my ear clogged up?

Question

Why is my ear clogged up?

ear has been clogged for 4 months now muffled sounds hard to understand when spoken to. clears up good for a month then back to being clogged

Answer

I strongly recommend that you see either your primary care doctor or a ear, nose, and throat specialist about this issue, if you have not already done so. Chronic clogged sensation in the ear is often a treatable condition, and the first step is figuring out what is going on. One possibility is that you have a chronic serous effusion in the ear. This can develop after a bad cold, throat infection, or sinus infection. It can also occur as a result of eustachian tube dysfunction, where the tubes that drain fluid from the middle ear down into the throat do not work as well as they should, or chronic sinus or nasal allergy problems. Another possibility is that you have a serious buildup of wax in the external ear canal. Some people have very over active glands in the ear canal that produce an excess of wax. If not taken care of, this wax can easily occlude the entire ear canal leading to trouble hearing. Your doctor will be able to tell the difference between these two conditions quickly with a simple physical examination. Allergies and other causes of serious effusions can often be treated with simple medications. Wax buildup usually just requires removal with a special tool or with irrigation in your doctor's office. Again, please see a doctor soon.