ZocdocAnswersCan I transfer poison ivy to my husband when we have sexual intercourse?

Question

Can I transfer poison ivy to my husband when we have sexual intercourse?

Will it be contagious if i have poison ivy with my husband

Answer

The best thing to do would be to see your primary care doctor to make sure the poison ivy is under control and that there are no signs of another infection that needs treating! Poison ivy is a severe inflammatory reaction in the skin that is caused by exposure to some toxic oils produced by the poison ivy plant. The reaction develops anywhere where the skin comes into contact with the oil. However, it is something of a popular myth that poison ivy itself is "contagious". If the plant oil is present on your skin or on your clothes, then there is the potential for spreading to new skin areas or new people who come into contact with the oil. However, once your skin is properly washed and clothing cleaned, there is no further risk of the condition "spreading." This doesn't mean that the condition might not appear to spread on your own body, since the inflammation may lag a few days after exposure and therefore seem to be "spreading" as new spots turn up. Therefore, there is no specific risk of spreading the poison ivy to your husband. However, if you have multiple open or oozing areas of skin, there is a risk that those areas could become infected with a bacteria and that, if so infected, you could spread this infection. Again, please talk to your doctor soon!