ZocdocAnswersPain in index finger to wrist?

Question

Pain in index finger to wrist?

I have had a pain in my index finger moving to my wrist. It has become more painful over the last few days. Before it became overly painful I started having tingling in my fingers that lasted longer than just my hand falling asleep; it hasnt come back but the pain started to occur after that I have had wrist issues before where I had to wear a brace.

Answer

I strongly recommend that you talk with your primary care doctor about this issue if you have not done so already. It sounds like the pain you are suffering from is probably from some form of nerve damage in the wrist or in the hand, as nerve pain typically has that tingling character that you describe. By far the most common cause of nerve related pain in the hand would be carpal tunnel syndrome. This is a condition in which the median nerve, which is a large nerve supplying the thumb side of the palm and fingers, becomes compressed and inflamed as it passes down the arm and into the palm. Typically, carpal tunnel syndrome occurs because of repetitive motion injury (such as typing at a keyboard all day). Your doctor will be able to examine you and help figure out if this is what is going on. Less severe cases of carpal tunnel syndrome can often be managed with anti inflammatory medications and wrist splinting and rest. More severe cases may require referral to an orthopedic doctor for steroid injections or for a more invasive surgical procedure. Start by making an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can.