ZocdocAnswersWhy won't my cough get better??

Question

Why won't my cough get better??

Ive been coughing for a week, dry cough no stuffy nose no bothing just the cough. It hadnt gotton better ony a little worse each day. My cough did get a little wet today. I already use a himidifier take medicine and try to sty hydrated. There are no smokers in my house and im only 13. Sometimes i get a mini fever when i cough a lot but it goes away after i stop coughing. I usually cough for a while stop for a few miniutes and cough again... But my cough seems to get pretty bad at night. Im pretty sure i got sick because my friends were sick and got me sick, but im not sure.

Answer

I would strongly recommend that you go to see your pediatrician or your adolescent medicine doctor for a checkup as soon as you can. Any time a cough lingers for as long as yours has, especially when it seems to be getting worse, it should be evaluated by your doctor. They can help figure out whether or not you need additional treatment at this time. One possibility is that you started with a simple upper respiratory infection (such as the common cold) which has now progressed to a more serious problem, such as a lung infection (pneumonia) or a sinus infection. Your doctor should be able to tell if you have a serious infection after a physical examination; if so, you may need to take antibiotics to help clear things up. It is also possible that you are suffering from another condition that might cause lingering cough, such as asthma or nasal allergies. Again, this should be apparent on the physical examination. Both asthma an allergies can be effectively treated by inhaled or oral medications that your doctor can prescribe for you. In addition, your doctor will be able to follow up with you to make sure that you are getting better and that any medication you are taking is working. Good luck and please see your doctor soon!