ZocdocAnswersWhat is the cause of my bad breath?

Question

What is the cause of my bad breath?

I have upper dentures and 1 plastic crown. i go to dentist 2x a year. i smelled my breath when i licked my wrist. when i floss my crown it smells so bad.

Answer

Sorting out the causes of bad breath often requires the help of both your dentist and your primary care doctor. You should discuss this question with your healthcare providers. First of all, bad breath is often caused by tooth decay or other dental problems, such as gingivitis (inflammation of the gums). It sounds like you are already suspecting this, as you notice the smell more strongly when you are flossing your teeth. Your dentist will be able to take a look inside your mouth at all of your teeth and also your gum line. If they identify any decaying tooth, infection, or other dental problem, they will be able to provide you with recommendation as to how to proceed. On the other hand, if your dentist doesn't identify any issues, then your primary care doctor should be able to help. There are several medical problems that can cause bad breath. These include infection or chronic inflammation in the tonsils and chronic nasal allergies or sinus congestion. Furthermore, certain foods as well as smoking can be associated with chronic bad breath. Your primary care doctor can identify most of these potential causes with a quick physical examination. Based on what they discover, they can recommend the most appropriate treatment. Good luck!