Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My allergy meds are not helping me. Should i consider allergy shots?"

ZocdocAnswersMy allergy meds are not helping me. Should i consider allergy shots?


Asthma, allergic rhinitis, chronic sinusitis for 6 years. Prescription and otc meds not effective. Antibiotics and prednisone not effective. Low grade temp at times. Multiple allergies to molds and weeds. Ct scan sinuses was negative.


I'm very sorry to hear that you are having such problems with your allergy and asthma symptoms! Please see a specialist to help with this problem, if you have not done so already. An allergy specialist would be a good place to start, as an allergy doctor will be able to help you both manage your asthma symptoms and also your other non asthma allergy symptoms. Depending on how severe the sinus symptoms are, it may also be necessary to consult with an ear, nose, and throat specialist. The first priority will be to make sure that your asthma symptoms are under control. I say this because of all of the symptoms you have, the asthma symptoms are the ones that are most likely to be life-threatening or disabling if not properly addressed. An allergist will be able to review your prior allergy testing and symptoms and help you come up with a plan both to improve your asthma with medications and also to avoid potential allergic triggers. Allergy shots are a good option for people who suffer from certain classes of severe allergies, especially when they are taking optimal medications without relief. In particular, allergy shots are very useful in cases of chronic nasal allergies and sinus congestion. Your allergy doctor will be able to provide an opinion on whether it would be useful to pursue this in your case. Please be sure to discuss this with your doctor soon.

Need more info?

See an allergist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.