ZocdocAnswersShould I be concerned if my period lasts for 2 weeks?

Question

Should I be concerned if my period lasts for 2 weeks?

I bleed for 9 days sometimes 2 weeks just recently but its light and with no pain should I be concerned?

Answer

This would be a good general health question to raise with your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor the next time you see them. Each person's menstrual cycle is unique. Some individuals have longer periods and some have shorter periods. However, 2 weeks is definitely longer than usual for most individuals. One problem with having longer periods is that it may result in anemia from blood loss. It doesn't sound like your periods are very heavy, but your doctor could perform some basic blood tests to make sure that you do not have anemia. Another possibility is that the bleeding may be caused by an abnormality - such as a fibroid inside the uterus or endometriosis - that may require treatment. Your doctor will be able to perform a complete physical examination. Based on what they find, they may also want to perform additional testing, such as an ultrasound of the uterus and ovaries. These tests will help them figure out whether any specific treatment is needed. For example, some causes of prolonged menstruation may be improved by taking an oral contraceptive pill to help regulate the cycle. Please make an appointment with your doctor at your earliest convenience.