ZocdocAnswersWhy is my vision blurry in my left eye?

Question

Why is my vision blurry in my left eye?

I woke up with blurry vision in my left eye 2 days ago. The blurry vision was pretty bad to a point where looking with both eyes it was kinda blurry. It wore off after 3 hours but I still went to a doctor. She said this was really weird and that I might of just hit myself or something in my sleep. There was no redness but she said my eyelid was a little swollen. I took the eye test and my vision was 20:25 instead of my regular 20:20. My left eye was still a tiny worse for the rest of the day and I think by friday night the evened out but this morning I woke up with blurry vision in my left eye again! Whats wrong with my eye?

Answer

There are a number of different causes for blurry vision, and I would definitely suggest touching base again with your doctor. It would probably be best to get a formal eye examination by an eye doctor in order to help pin down what might be going on. There are several different causes of blurry vision, some serious and some not. For example, intermittent blurry vision can occur with fatigue or eye strain. It may also be caused by seasonal eye allergies (which can also cause some swelling of the eyelids). Similarly, a small scratch on the surface of the eye (known as the cornea) can also cause blurry vision, but this tends to be quite uncomfortable as well. There are also more serious causes of blurry vision, which can include deeper inflammations or infections in the eye. It may also be caused by a buildup of pressure in the interior of the eye, which is known as glaucoma. If your eye doctor does not find anything wrong with the eye, then following up with your primary care doctor as well will be recommended, as there are also some medical conditions (such as high blood pressure or migraine) which may cause blurry vision.