In the morning right before I have to poop I start gagging. What would cause this?

I am a 43 year old male. My stools are usually loose. I have bad teeth.
I would strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue, or your gastroenterologist if you have one. This is especially important if the symptoms have been going on for a while, as it is necessary to rule out any potentially serious medical problems. Chronic loose stools need to be worked up, as there are several treatable causes of these, including inflammatory bowel disease, infections in the intestines, and celiac disease. Make sure to mention to your doctor what exactly your bowel movements look like (color, odor, presence of any blood), as well as any other symptoms such as weight loss, joint pain, or rashes. This information will help them narrow down the possible causes. The gagging in the mornings also needs to be thought about. If you are having explosive loose stools in the morning, the gagging might be secondary to forceful cramping contractions of the intestines. On the other hand, especially if there is nausea or stomach pain, there might be other problems, such a stomach ulcer, which need to be ruled out. Your doctor will be able to decide what additional testing you need to get to the bottom of this issue. Good luck!

Nearby Gastroenterologists

Other Gastroenterologists