ZocdocAnswersMy left nose has been running since the last time I caught a cold. Why?

Question

My left nose has been running since the last time I caught a cold. Why?

It has been months since i got cold. One side of the nose feels congested and it shifts over a period of time . I do not suffer from any other problems like sinusitis, asthama. I start sneezing when i comein contact with clothes in the stores. Its like a kind of dust allergy. Can this cause any problem/ should i get diagnoised?

Answer

I would definitely recommend going to see your primary care doctor about this issue, especially since the symptoms have been going on for so long. One possibility is that you have developed some form of indoor allergy, since you seem to have fits of sneezing when you are indoors and come into contact with dust or other substances. Your doctor will be able to tell if you have allergies most likely simply by looking inside your throat and your nose. If so, there are excellent medications which can be used to reduce the swelling and itching and help get you back to feeling better. Similarly, it is possible that you have developed a chronic sinus congestion, which can sometimes be triggered by a cold, and can last for weeks to months. Symptoms of this often do include a chronic stuffiness which may shift around a bit during the day or at night. Once again, this can often be easily treated with either nasal spray medications or pills to help reduce the swelling inside the nasal passages, allowing the sinuses to drain. Start by contacting your primary care doctor's office and setting up an appointment at your earliest convenience.