ZocdocAnswersWhat is wrong with my body?

Question

What is wrong with my body?

I'm 19 and my periods are irregular. When I was 15, I suffered through FIVE MONTHS of menstruation. I go through several months without a period. I have visible facial hair on my upper lip, chin and cheeks. Around my nipples, I have ~30 hairs that range from barely visible to almost a cm in length! I consume 800 calories a day and I lost only 6lbs in 2 months. I used to consume about 2,000 calories a day, I gained 30 lbs in 2 months. I drink about 16 oz of water per day at the most and I urinate approximately 8 times a day. Sometimes I get up 3-4 times at night to go to the bathroom. Often I pee at intervals of 10-30 minutes. I've been diagnosed with depression&anxiety. I have dark brown, long, fine, straight hair and I'll occasionally get jet black, very coarse, wiry, thick hair. My hair and nails grow extremely fast. I heard that this may be due to a high protein diet, but I do not eat a lot of protein. I just believe that they all might be connected in one way or another.

Answer

I would strongly suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor about these issues. I'm not sure that all of the various things you mention are related to each other, but certainly some of them are. For example, the fact that you have menstrual irregularity, with your periods only coming every several months, together with the growth of body hair and being overweight, all suggest that you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome. Polycystic ovarian syndrome is a very common medical condition in which imbalances in the hormones affect menstruation, hair growth, and weight accumulation. Sometimes the condition can be treated with a rigorous weight loss and exercise program. Other times, additional medications, such as oral contraceptive pills, may be needed to help with the hair overgrowth and menstrual irregularity. When your doctor sees you, they may also want to rule out some other common conditions in addition to polycystic ovarian syndrome. For example, problems with the thyroid gland can also sometimes lead to the types of symptoms you are having, and this can be checked for quickly with a simple blood test. Please set up an appointment with your doctor right away, so that you can get to the bottom of this!