Does anal sex cause hemorrhoids?

Young man, not overweight with sever internal and external hemorrhoids. HGB 5G.
I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with this issue! Hemorrhoids are dilated veins either surrounding or inside of the rectum. They can cause a number of symptoms, including pain with defecation and chronic itching of the rectal area. There are a number of causes of hemorrhoids, all of which result in chronic irritation and strain on the veins inside the rectum. These causes include chronic constipation (leading to straining with bowel movements) and being overweight. There is also some evidence that anal intercourse may contribute to the development of hemorrhoids, although this is disputed. What is definitely clear is that having anal intercourse in the presence of severe hemorrhoids can lead to persistent and more severe symptoms. I would strongly suggest that you discuss this issue with a gastroenterologist or surgeon, if you have not done so already. They will be able to help you identify the potential causes of your hemorrhoids. Also, they will be able to help you figure out what medications can be used to improve your symptoms. In the most severe cases of hemorrhoids, a surgery to remove the hemorrhoids may be the most appropriate move. Start by setting up an appointment today!

Other Gastroenterologists