Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have bumps outside my labia... why?"

ZocdocAnswersI have bumps outside my labia... why?


They don't look like herpes... could they be warts?I am having itching and vaginal discharge as well. I tried monistat because I thought it was a yeast infection it did NOT help.


You should definitely go to see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor about this issue as soon as you can. The first thing that your doctor will do is perform a vaginal examination, taking a look both at the bumps and also at the discharge. In some cases, a yeast infection of the vagina may be present and may cause a red, irritated rash around the vagina as well. Not all yeast infections respond to over the counter Monistat, so the fact that you tried this and it didn't work doesn't totally rule out this possibility. Herpes infections tend to cause painful blister-like spots, so if the areas you have are not either painful or blistered, then this is less likely. Vaginal warts are, however, a distinct possibility. Warts tend to be fleshy non painful spots that have an irregular shape to them. In addition to the physical exam, your doctor will probably take a look at the vaginal discharge under the microscope and send your urine for basic tests for a urinary infection and sexually transmitted infections. Based on what they find, they will be able to prescribe the appropriate treatment for you.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.